Thursday, July 11, 2013

I didn't wake up with a toe tag this morning...

Yesterday was a “hungry day” for me as we like to call it.  No matter what I did I felt hunger, all day.  I tried to satisfy that hunger with fruit and it helped but did not seem to last that long.  What I need to do is try and pair fruit with a protein so keep me feeling satisfied longer.  Yesterday I had an apple with a cheese stick and I feel that satisfied me better than just eating the apple alone especially since the cheese stick is only one point.  Mental note for today, get some more proteins to eat with my fruit.  I ate a ton of fruit and vegetables yesterday, apple, cherries, half a grapefruit, banana, broccoli, cabbage and green beans.  Wow, putting that all in writing is amazing to see.  That is so much healthier than eating junk or those damn cookies in my office (which I completely avoided BTW).  Hila made a fantastic dinner last night, fish nugget tacos from Trader Joes.  If you have never had these I am telling you that you are missing out.  With three tortilla wraps this dinner came out to only 14 points.  With such a low dinner I treated myself to a nice glass of red wine (2009 Castello di Monsanto Chianti Classico Riserva) for 5 points.  I am pretty much a red wine fanatic, well I am in the process of becoming one.  I love it, and this wine was fantastic.  Plus Hila’s parents came over and had dinner with us so I had someone to share it with.  Yes, I will treat myself to a glass of red wine for dinner (or dessert) even if I am all by myself but it’s always better to enjoy it with someone else that loves red wine, thanks Elyanah!  With the leftovers I just plug the bottle back up, put it in the wine fridge and save it for another day!


Looking back, now that I think about I could have even eaten more food yesterday, I went to bed with two of my daily points left over.  I want to make sure that I am not depriving myself just because I am trying to be healthy.  I could have eaten more throughout the day or had a piece of chocolate for dessert, I did not have any dessert last night and that is rare.  I will try to be better about making sure I eat my allotted points although I can’t imagine that the fewer calories will hurt me.
Bootcamp was awesome, yet again.  Jen is the trainer of my site and she is fantastic.  She knows I am working through an injury and is there to assist me or modify any workout that needs to be changed since I struggle with shoulder exercises.  She will always give that boost of encouragement or that extra push to keep moving on.  “Come on Bobby, you got this” as she said to me yesterday while doing some ridiculously hard one legged step ups on the curb.  I thrive when pushed by others.  That is the main reason I love bootcamp so much.  The gym and I don’t work out, literally.  I was told as a child that I always choose the path of least resistance, while I don’t agree with that statement totally it is at least partially true.  I need someone to push me especially when it comes to working out.  Why I love this program so much is all I have to do is show up, once there I will do whatever I am told to do, but if I have to do it on my own, if I am being honest it just won’t happen.  I know that about myself and I am ok with that but that is why bootcamp works for me and why I think it works for so many others.  Tomorrow is my third mountain bike race at Wakefield Park called Wednesday’s at Wakefield (http://www.potomacvelo.com/tag/wednesdays-at-wakefield).  I always hope that the day before the race is not a leg day, and have been lucky up until now.  Yesterday was 100% legs.  I am not too sore yet but for me the soreness does not settle in until the afternoon of the day after the workout, so right around the start of the race tonight I should be in pretty substantial pain.  At least the race tonight will work some of the lactic acid out of the stems.  My goal with these races was to do each one faster than the last so all I need to do tonight is finish in less than 57 minutes or so.  We live in Northern Virginia so the summer forecast is afternoon rains and heat, let’s hope the rain holds out long enough to just start the race and I can deal with the heat. 
I will note that I recently bought my bike from Performance Bike (http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/TopCategories_10052_10551_-1) and have been beyond pleased with the service.  Twice I have had to bring the bike in for minor adjustments since I felt the bike was riding funny.  Well one time the entire peddle came off, needless to say that sucked since I was at least a mile from the end of the course.  Each time the bike mechanics and helped me and even replaced a part or two completely free of charge and right there in front of me, I thought for sure that I would need to leave the bike there.  If you are even remotely interested in buying a bike my first thought is to at least check them out.  Like I said I have been more than pleased with the service.  Here is a picture of my bike.


I am all set today with more snacks and soup and a sandwich again for lunch.  Today is going to be another good day.  As my coworker said this morning, “I didn't wake up with a toe tag this morning so how bad can it really be?”  I kind of like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment