Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Time is precious, waste it wisely.

I have written about this topic previously but something came up last night and I wanted to expand further.  I was asked how I find the time to write this blog every day.  For me it was an easy question to answer, I make the time.  The process that gradually brought me to this answer was a bit more difficult.  This not only applies to the blog but to many other aspects of my life.  Two of which seem to make people ask the same question above.  Reading and working out.  I do an extensive amount of both.  Before I started reading, writing, and working out I actually thought I was busy.  Now I have no idea what I did with my time before.  Let me explain.

I read about a book a week.  Sometimes more sometimes less but that is the average.  How do I find the time to read so often, you ask?  Easy, I make time.  Sometimes a book is so good I get up early, drive to work and just sit in the car and read for a half an hour.  Do that twice a week and that is a solid hour of absolute silence to just read.  Often times I take my lunch break and drive to the same spot and read for the whole hour.  Let's say I do that twice a week.  With these two simple weekly modifications I have just freed up two whole hours of time to read.  I made time for something I wanted.  All I "lost" was a few minutes of sleep and a lunch hour that I probably would have just worked through anyway.  I have also eliminated television from my personal life.  Yes, I watch several shows with my wife, but if I am home alone the TV just no longer gets turned on.  I am more interested in the book I am reading or could be reading than the mindless dribble that is on TV these days.  Come and see me if you think a particular TV show is better than a book, I can show you some books that will literally change you life.

The same applies to writing as well.  This is something I want to do so I sacrifice other things less important to me.  Sleep, free time and lunch breaks.  Yes, sometimes that means I end up working late or coming in early but how important are these others things compared to what I really want?  I find them to be significantly less important to me the more I give them up.

As I said this has not been an easy process but at no point have I felt that I was missing out on anything.  In all reality I feel have only gained.  I am learning to be a better writer, I have read some mind blowing, fantastically amazing books.  I have rearranged my schedule for the past few years to make sure I get in a workout.  Boot camp has been that answer for me when it comes to fitness.  Nothing else has worked, no gym, no spin class, nothing.  I needed the structure, I needed the discipline.  I needed to take my head out of the equation, to do that I needed to put my heart into it instead.  I stopped making excuses and started making it the way.  Now, working out has simply become part of my routine.  Of course I want to go home and sit on the couch and relax and get to bed early and sleep in.  I want all of these things very badly, but I want something else even more.  I want to be in shape, not just in shape, I actually want to be the best.  I have a drive in me that pushes me to succeed, it gives me that extra motivation/desire/strength/want/need to run faster, to push just a little bit harder.  I have had several obstacles placed in front of me keeping me from being the best.  But no obstacle is so big that I cannot jump over it, run around it, or just climb over the damn thing.

All the obstacles in life, whether they be sleep, time, a torn rotator cuff, or any other of the endless list of things that get in our way, are simply just obstacles to be overcome.  Time, is an obstacle that we will always face, all day, everyday, the key is to stop trying to find time and start making time.  The time is there, the hard part is figuring out how you want to fill it.


No comments:

Post a Comment