Friday, July 25, 2014

Difficult? YES. Impossible? NO.

I learned two small lessons this week which resulted in one larger lesson learned, all pertaining to me being out of shape.

1. You cannot go all balls crazy working out when it's close to 100 degrees outside when not in at least somewhat good physical condition. Wednesday was extremely friggin hot outside I honestly don't know what the hell we were thinking. We ran 1.5 miles before class then near the start of class we ran some stairs. Here is a perfect example of when my mind is telling me yes but my body is telling me no. My body didn't just tell me no it straight up stopped. I thought I could sprint the stairs, just like the good ole days, and still participate in class. Ha! That didn't happen. I pretty much spent the remaining 45 minutes of class standing there in a dizzy daze until my body was able to come back to the land of the living. Not the best of workouts but I burned some calories and broke a serious sweat. Lesson learned - take it a little bit easy until I get more into shape. There is no point in pushing 110% for the first 15 minutes of class if that means you can only push 60% the rest of class. Pace yourself, you will get there, it's not a race, it's process.

2. Even if you only have 30 minutes, something is better than nothing.  I had a small window yesterday of 30 minutes to get in a workout. I was considering running but due to the lack of strength training this week I wanted to work my muscles not just cardio. So I went with the 5-4-3-2-1 workout. My goal was to get in as much of it as I could in 30 minutes. In months prior I could do the entire workout in under 50 minutes so I thought I could keep close to that time. Ha! Again my mind telling me yes but my body telling me no. I am not one to manipulate R. Kelly lyrics but if the shoe fits...or when in Rome...or if you can't stand the heat, no that one does not work. Anyway, what I am trying to say is I only had 30 minutes and I found a way to fit in a workout. I was able to do exactly half the workout in 31 minutes, so I guess I really had 31 minutes available to workout, look I am not a mathmatician, or a good speeler, K? I made the best use of the time provided. Not going to lie, I am sore today from it. I tried to do as many of the push ups as possible on my toes (not my knees), I held and 8 lb. ball when doing the squats, and I added a jump to the burpees. Both my shoulders and my legs are sore today. You don't always need a full boot camp class, or a 5 mile run, or a full hour at the gym. As long as you do something, anything, as often as you can you are doing something good for yourself. I could have sat on the couch last night and read, or taken a nap, or done any number of things, but none of those things will help me achieve my goals of getting fit and losing weight. Even though I only did half the workout, look at what I was able to do, 250 jumping jacks, 200 squats, 150 sit ups, 100 push ups and 50 burpees, not too shabby. I'll take it.

The larger lesson learned here is it takes weeks and weeks and weeks to get into shape. No need to rush the results, they will come with hard work and dedication. I need to constantly remind myself to take it slow, workout everyday I can and it will happen. Yes it's going to be difficult, no it's not impossible but I assure you it's absolutely worth it.


No comments:

Post a Comment