Thursday, July 11, 2013

And here we go...

I have been struggling with not only losing weight but also sticking with a fitness plan so I have decided to write a blog.  We shall see how this works but I want to make myself accountable, well more accountable for my actions.  I am going to take pictures of myself and post about my struggles with food and working out.  I currently am a member of Custom Fitness Concepts (http://www.customfitnessconcepts.com), CFC to the in crowd and am a weekly meeting member of Weightwatchers.  I weigh in tonight so I will update my current weight after the meeting.  I also recently had shoulder surgery so I have been pretty much out of the working out loop for several months.  Before the surgery I was what I would call in pretty good shape, although I still lose every long distance race to my wife, Hila, lose is an understatement, I get crushed.  She is fast and in incredible shape.  She recently ran a marathon and she has been a lot of the inspiration for me to take my fitness to the next level.  I have a few goals that I want to set up front.  
1.  Weight - The "book" says I should weight 185 lbs., where this book came from I have no idea but that is pretty low.  I bet I am about 225 right now so that is 40 lbs.  Holy hell that's more than I thought I had to lose.  I am going to make two goals about my weight so that the 40 pound goal does not seem unattainable.  First goal is to get below 200 lbs., I have done it before and I can do it again.  My goal weight at Weightwatchers is 203 so once I beat that I will be free again, that's and extra $40 a month just for being skinnier, I'll take it.  Second goal is to lose the last 15 lbs. and get to 185.  I am not sure that I can get to a healthy 185 but we will see how it goes.  
2.  Fitness - I have several fitness goals all of which I should be able to complete this year, except one.  First, bootcamp, bootcamp, bootcamp.  I really need to make an effort to get to class more often.  This Saturday I passed up a perfectly good opportunity to go to class for no more reason than I just didn’t want to.  Sure I made some excuses in my head about cleaning and running errands since we had company coming over but really they were all excuses.  I should have gone.  Hila was planning on going all weekend and asked me a gazillion times to go and each time I said maybe, damn well knowing I was not going to go.  Of course I heard the class was awesome and I felt guilty the whole rest of the day for not going.  Yes, I ran some errands and got some things done but bottom line is I did not get in a workout.  One day farther from my goal and that does not make me happy.  
Second, the dreaded run.  I really need to up my running game.  I am slow, fat and lazy right now.  I have run in several races but never have I been a good runner.  Frankly I hate it, but I know that running and running alone with improve my fitness level all around.  I am signed up for the Army 10 miler in October and my goal for this is to run the entire race in under a 9 minute mile pace.  That will be a minute faster than I have ever run a 10 mile race.  
Third is mountain biking.  I have recently taken up mountain biking and would also like to take this to the next level.  I am currently participating in a weekly race series called Wednesdays at Wakefield.  Its 4 races on 4 Wednesdays, we have raced two so far and this week is the third.  First I raced in the Clydesdale category (200 lbs. and over).  This consisted of three 3.3 mile laps, needless to say I was the absolute last person to cross the finish line.  Coming from a background of being better than average physically this was a hard one for me.  I knew I was last place from the word go.  I was lapped by just about everyone, even the racers who were doing 4 laps.  Quite the humbling experience.  The next week I contacted the race director and asked to be moved to the beginner level which is only two laps.  While this was a much better fit for me I still finished second to last out of 16 guys.  We will see how I do this week.  My goal for this is simple, get better.  In October, the weekend before the Army 10 miler, there is a 25 mile ride in Montgomery County called the MOCO Epic (http://mocoepic.com).  My goal is to ride in this ride and do it well.  This is not a race but I want to be able to complete this ride without feeling like I want to die.  So far 10 miles is the farthest I have ridden so 25 miles is quite a feat.  
Fourth is another Tough Mudder (http://toughmudder.com).  I have run two of these so far and unfortunately the next one is the same day as the Army 10 miler.  So while I may not be able to complete this goal this year, its something that I want to do soon.  I completed both TM's previously but could not do so without walking.  My goal for this next one, whenever that may be is to complete this race without walking at all.  
3.  Looks - I have never been classified as having a good body.  I pretty much have, no not pretty much, I have been overweight my entire life.  Simply, I want to have the beach type muscular body I see on TV all the time.  How the heck to these guys look like this??  I am not sure how this one will come about but with any luck it just will by following my goals and sticking to the plan.  
Now other than my own head talking me out of working out and eating right I do have a shoulder issue.  Yes I just had surgery so its extremely weak but I also think this surgery has not fixed it 100%.  I have had rotator cuff surgery twice and I have a feeling I will need it again.  I will work through the pain and weakness for now and will update again once I go back to the doctors for my 6 month follow up in July. 
This will not be easy but if I put it out there for all to see there will be no reason for me not to meet my goals.  I have a fantastic wife who is willing to workout with me any anytime.  I have tools from the folks at CFC to reach all my fitness goals.  Now the hard part is just doing it.  I have bootcamp tonight and then Weightwatchers afterwards, I will update on each tomorrow.  Let the goal reaching begin!!

No comments:

Post a Comment