Thursday, July 10, 2014

Wow, I really regret that workout.

A gym rat I am not.  More like a lost puppy dog wandering around aimlessly looking for the best place to pee.  Today I made a mistake, I went to the gym without a plan.  Big mistake.  Thought I could wing it, I did wing it but I didn't make the best use of my time.  I need structure, I need someone who knows what they are doing to tell me what to do.  Even with several years of working out experience I was still lost without a plan.  Hell, I didn't even know what half the machines were for.  I was looking for the little stand where you can do sit ups or back extensions and came up to one and was like "is this it" then I see someone else doing an entirely different exercise on it.  It's intimidating.  It's awkward.  I know why so many people join a gym, go for a week and never come back.  They have no friggin clue what to do.  None, nadda, zip.  I almost know what I am doing and I still didn't have a friggin clue.  Boot camp is my answer to all of these issues.  Boot camp takes away all of the wonder, worry, and concern.  All I have to do is show up and I get a fantastic workout.  Someone else (Tom) sets up the workout and the trainer teaches us.  What do I know about switching muscle groups up?  Muscle confusion?  What do I know about some double cycle pulley system thing that without a picture on it I wouldn't even know what muscle group it worked?  Did I get a good workout this morning, yes I did, but I got a better workout last night in class.  Not just physically but mentally as well.  When it comes to working out it is so much easier to keep pace and cadence when someone else is counting for you.  When you do it on your own you take more breaks, you take longer between sets, it's just human nature to slow down when you are tired, it just happens.  The difference is when someone else is counting and pushing you, you are much more likely to try harder or get back into the rhythm more quickly.   That makes all the difference in the world when it comes to getting fit.  It's the pushing through the pain that takes you to the next level, it's the times it hurts the most that you are doing the best for yourself.  And as much as it hurts at the time I have never finished a workout and said I wish I hadn't done that.


No comments:

Post a Comment