Wednesday, December 18, 2013

I wish I wasn't lazy.

I used to think that most people did not want to workout simply because of fear.  Fear of pain.  Fear of others seeing your weaknesses.  Fear of pushing yourself beyond what you think are your limits.  While all of these are normal fears, some of which I still deal with today, each of them are able to be overcome.  I now think that the biggest reason (excuse) for not working out is laziness.  Lazy is not a fear but still infinitely more difficult to overcome.  Lazy is not just in your head it's also in your body.  It takes time, effort, pain to overcome laziness.  It takes winning, it even takes losing to overcome laziness.  Fear is something that once confronted is much easier to face the next time.  Laziness, not so much.  It's always lingering there, tapping you on the shoulder saying, "screw this, go home, do nothing."  It never, ever, ever goes away.

I want to be lazy everyday.  Every single moment of everyday.  All the time.  Right now.  It is always a battle.  To do or not to do.  Always always a battle.  And a battle that is often lost.  Saturday morning, it's raining but there are a million and one things I could do around the house.  None of which I want to do, I want to sit on the couch and read, next to my wife with Chow snoring in the corner.  That is what I want to do every morning.  But that is not a reality, things need to get done, runs need to be run, the garage needs organizing, food needs purchasing, nursery needs painting, the list is endless endless endless.  Sometimes laziness wins, sometimes it doesn't.

It takes weeks and weeks before working out becomes a habit, to even start and overcome the laziness.  It won't be easy, it's still not easy but it's worth it.  There are benefits.  Endless benefits.  We work because we need money, no money and eventually we are sleeping in a ditch off the interstate.  We don't workout because we are lazy, no working out and we are sleeping in a more permanent ditch sooner than we should.  If only we saw immediate results from working out.  No, that is not the right wording.  If only we saw our long term results immediately we all may be more inclined to workout.  Yes, that's what I wanted to say.  We don't see our longer, healthier life right now.  We live it for years to come.  We make small changes that lead to big results.  The results are there, they just take a while show themselves.  Make the change now to workout more and one day you will thank me, but more importantly your children will thank YOU.


No comments:

Post a Comment