Monday, December 16, 2013

Stop thinking and starting doing.

Each week I try to think of one aspect of fitness or weight loss to focus on specifically that week.  Counting all my points no matter what, adding time to my workouts, getting more runs in, whatever it may be that I feel I need to focus on at the moment.  This week is going to be a bit different.

We have started getting the nursery put together.  That involves several things, getting the room ready, painting, buying and assembling furniture, just to name a few.  Until last weekend this has seemed like an overwhelming task.  This "to do" list is an ongoing saga of items that seem endless.  Until now.  We started with one item, and just started crossing off a line at a time.  Really all we needed to do was start.  Just starting has put these events in motion and now with only two weekends of work behind us we have made substantial progress.

The same applies to fitness and weight loss, it's never going to get better on its own, all you have to do is start.  Put the workout ball in motion and watch it gain speed.  It's a beautiful thing.  We all put things off for too long.  "I will workout tomorrow" or "I will start my diet after the weekend."  Believe me these two comments were a staple in my vocabulary for many years.  Until I finally started.  I tried the gym, I tried running, I tried taking classes.  Until I found boot camp I was a lost soul.  From the first day I started, I knew this was for me.  It just worked.  I found what I was finally looking for.  I no longer felt the need to make excuses not to workout, I wanted to workout.  Yes, partly due to the fact the eight girls were kicking my butt on a daily basis but that is part of the program.  Using others to push you even harder.  How easy is it to stop running on the treadmill at the gym, how easy is it to go and lift and give up after 30 minutes because you are tired or you just want to go home?  Very easy, it's too easy.  No one is holding you accountable for your actions.  With boot camp, there are others there that may ask, "where were you yesterday," not to be mean but over time you start to develop friendships with other classmates and they honestly care about your well being.  You have a trainer that cares about you and wants you to show up.  This can happen at the gym as well, but I doubt you spend an hour a day next to the same people at the gym as you would in class each night.  It's much easier to give up on something when you are by yourself than it is if someone is watching you, don't believe me, try it.  I have made some great friends in class and its conversing with these friends that has pushed me to get to class when I may not have wanted to go, I am sure I have pushed some of them to get to class as well.  All of these things I realized once I stopped making excuses and finally decided to start.

So back to my focus this week.  We are flying to Florida on Friday and have about a million and one things to accomplish before then.  So my focus this week is to make it to class everyday and take any extra time I have a put it into the nursery.  While I would love to add another 30 minutes to class each day, this week I just have to much going on.  I am not going to take away from my workout routine, I just feel that this week I need to focus "extra" time on other important things (AKA baby D!).


No comments:

Post a Comment