Friday, December 20, 2013

Eat, drink and be merry.

We are now approaching that interesting time when we have presented to us an abundance of high calorie food and drink at pretty much all times of the day.  Right this minute, there are two Christmas tins of cookies in the office.  A supplier brought lunch yesterday.  We fly to Florida this afternoon where I am expecting no less than six different types of cookies sitting on the counter, calling my name, awaiting my consumption.  For the first time in many years, I feel okay about this.  I always worry that I am going to gain weight on our annual Florida Christmas trip, and I worry because every year it happens.  I have no control over the food I will be eating for the next five days.  Again I am okay with this.  I will enjoy SOME cookies, I will enjoy my meals with my family.  I mean I only get so many opportunities to enjoy Grandma's home cooking.  I am okay with all this because I now know that this is life.  There are ups and downs, highs and lows.  All I can do is focus on what I can control.  What I can control is portion size and working out.

I will work out everyday in Florida.  I have a weeks worth of boot camp classes written down, I have resistance bands.  I also have two appendages on the southern half of my body called legs and they can take me many places I have never been.  I will run.  I love just going out and running with a GPS watch, you can literally go anywhere you want, see the world (well parts of central Florida anyway), it's glorious.  I will workout with my pregnant wife.  I will find a way to incorporate the holidays and my workout routine.  I am not saying it will be easy, I am lazy at heart, remember.  But I will make it happen.  Plus is will be close to 80 degrees everyday, umm yeahh, that's not going to suck.

I will focus on portion control and mindless eating.  I don't need six cookies in one sitting, but it's okay to enjoy one occasionally, they are delicious.  I can put away some food, I have, I do and I will.  I am just going to make sure I don't over do it.  I will make sure I have fresh vegetables at dinners, a side salad, something, anything than just gorging myself on unhealthy food.  I will beat the angry overeating monster most days, and I am sure he will get the better of me at least once.  All I can do is give it my best.

Enjoy the holidays, enjoy the time with family and friends, eat, drink and be merry, enjoy a cookie (not 10), eat a nice meal, drink wine but at some point get out there and go for a run, a walk, a bike ride, it's supposed to be nice for the next couple of days here, enjoy it (although not in the 80's where I will be, but they can't all be winners, am I right?).

Happy Holidays to all, and to all a goodnight!


No comments:

Post a Comment