Thursday, February 20, 2014

Exercise is the most underutilized antidepressant.

Yesterday was a hard day for me.  I have some issues on a couple of my projects and they seemed to come to a head yesterday morning resulting in a rather unpleasant afternoon.  From about 10 AM on I was pretty much just pissed off.  I was angry with a coworker, I found myself being lazy and unproductive, I wanted to eat the mound of cookies and brownies we have sitting in the pantry, I just honestly no longer wanted to deal with anyone or anything.  I was letting my feelings and emotions get the better of me.  At one point I mentioned to my wife that I was "done with today".  That is exactly how I felt, just plain done.  I had a hard time sleeping the previous night, and on top of the stress from work I just more or less had a miserable day.  Anyone who knows me knows that is not typical for me.  If anything I am probably too easy going at times and I try not to let the small stuff get me down.  Yesterday that was simply not the case.  Finally 4:30 rolls around and I head out to go to class, eyes heavy, and the laziness continuing to take root.  All of this forgotten on the first warm up lap of class.  Literally gone.  My trainer Tom even asked me what was so funny because even though I was getting my hind end handed to me I was smiling from ear to ear.  You know now that I think about it, I was just plain happy, truly happy.  I had stopped thinking about work, and just devoted my time and energy to a good solid workout.  As much as work was weighing heavy on my mind yesterday, from the moment that class started until the moment I came in this morning work did not once even enter the proximity of my mind.  Six hours of hell immediately alleviated by one hour of exercise resulting in twelve hours of absolute peace.  Even if the stress from work starts to build up again today, I know I have another miracle hour awaiting my attendance tonight.  I find comfort in that one thought alone.

Thank you Tom, this was exactly what I needed today!


No comments:

Post a Comment