Thursday, December 5, 2013

Actions speak louder than words.

I was recently reminded of the saying that "actions speak louder than words."  I used to think that statement was a bit untrue or overused.  Call it naivety, or ignorance but in the past I would think that if I or someone else said something then it was true and had meaning behind it.  Not something stupid like the sky is green but something on a more personal level.  Like in a relationship where someone says something or says they will do something but they end up not actually doing what they said they would do.  This applies to so many things in life, actually it may apply to just about everything in life.  I often write on here what I plan to do and then end up not doing it for whatever reason.  It's a pattern, and it seems to be happening in more ways than just in my fitness or weight loss goals.  I want my words to mean something, no matter how trivial or significant those words may be.  I realize throughout my life that there have been many words said with not as many actions to back them up, not only on my part but by others as well.  As I have gotten older I see that words mean almost nothing.  They may make you or whoever you have said these words to feel better in the moment but in reality if they are not backed up by actions then they are meaningless, they are simply just words.

I said this week that I my goal was to add 30 minutes to my workouts everyday this week.  After only two days into trying to achieve my goal I had already begun to mentally retract those words and shy away from accomplishing said goal.  I did not want to stay and workout more last night.  Last night's class was hard, very hard.  I wanted nothing more than to go home and spend time with my beautiful wife.  We only have so many nights left when it will be just us, how precious another 30 minutes home would be.  As I was packing up my things to head home, I realized that yet again, my actions were speaking louder than my words.  I said I would do something and yet it was so easy to not want do it.  The reason that this statement is true is because saying is easy, doing is hard.  I can say anything I want, believe me it comes out quite easily.  It's the doing that I have struggled with my entire life.  All of this was going through my head in the few moments from class ending and the next one starting.  Luckily I listened to the little white angel this time and stayed for my additional 30 minutes.  It was not easy but the reward came to me this morning when I woke up and realized I did what I set off to do, even though it was as trivial as another 30 minutes of class.  Now the time has come to continue acting on my words, whether they apply to life, to food, to working out or to my family.  There is peace in actually doing what you said you would do, even when it's hard or don't want to do it.  The guilt or resentment that follows words unaccompanied by actions is much harder.


No comments:

Post a Comment